Sunday, September 4, 2011

Widener University Football vs. Lackawanna College

#83 Martin Turner out on the field (dsbpix)
I came out on a beautiful Sunday afternoon to support the Chester football players who are now playing for Widener University. Martin Turner was playing today for Widener. Martin played for Chester last season. Martin was All Delco MVP Defensive Back for Chester. 
Evon Hyles starts Tuesday (dsbpix)

Lackawanna brought unnecessary roughness to the game today. You could hear the cries in the stands as Lackawanna pounded the Widener B Team the first half of the game. These big brutes came to put a hurt on the team in an unsportsman way.  But according to football player Evon Hyles who received All Delco Team MVP Line Backer for Chester, “we shut them down in the second half.” Good thing because shutting them down kept the Lackawanna team from gaining more points. Still Widener lost 28 to 0. But keep in mind that Widener lost to a varsity team playing their B Team.

Anthony Davis and LaQuan Robinson shows varsity support for the B squad (dsbpix)
 
Widener Varsity team played Moravian College on Saturday. Widener University won 44 to 6. New team player Anthony Davis had two notable touch downs from yesterday’s game. Last season, Davis made 1st Team All-Delco Wide Receiver for Chester Clippers football. The All Delco Football Banquet was my first football report when I started this blog. All Delco Football Banquet still ranks as one of my top 10 reports.

Martin Turner's Grandfather "Fuzzy" and brother Adrian Turner (Senior player for Chester) came out to support Martin (dsbpix)

5 comments:

  1. The score was 34-0. Lackawanna brought their best game to the table as did Widener. There was no unnecessary roughness, else it would have been called by the officiating staff as such, nor was there any unsportsmanlike conduct displayed. This was a football game. Football is a rough sport. Both sides played the game accordingly.

    By the way, Lackawanna is a Junior College (2-year) football program that won the game against a 4-year JV program, Lackawanna doesn't have varsity and Jr. varsity programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left the game before it ended so a player gave me the score. I left because of the unnecessary roughness on the part of the Lackawanna players. Yes the officiating staff should have called the unsportsmanlike conduct. There was plenty of protest in the stands as more than one player got hurt. We could see it and we could hear it. I'm glad my son wasn't out there playing and that's what I told the people in the stands before I walked out in protest. Make sure you see proof on my video.

    Hey these football players at Widener are tough I know that. They can take it, if you dish it out. They are not going to complain. But as a fan and an alumni, I am.

    Widener's B Team has not been play college football for 4 years. Some are freshmen. If you are just a Junior College, then Widener shouldn't be playing Lackawanna anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Bee,

    I am not trying to have a pissing contest with you. When I mentioned that Lackawanna is a 2-year program I thought that you would understand that ALL of their players are freshman and sophomores - none are any older. Players were injured on both sides of the ball, not on Widener alone. However, the only time the game was stopped for an injury was when a Widener player made an illegal tackle not the other way around. Perhaps, you will be sure to see the proof in the video?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right there is no contest here. It just wouldn't be fair to you. Suffice it to say, I was not concerned about the age levels. I was concerned about something much more obvious on the field that others also noticed. But it's probably typical of recruitment efforts these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have followed Lackawanna College for years, they are physical and talented, not dirty. If any players are dirty that is the officials job to control. I think Moms should not make posts about kids playing for their futures online, let the officials and coaches do there jobs!

    ReplyDelete