Thursday, June 16, 2011

Behind the Scenes at Chester High School Graduation

Last Friday, June 10, 2011, Chester High School held its annual graduation for the senior out going class. I was worried about getting to the A Field on time. I was running late. I was not only stuck in rush hour traffic on I95 but I had to find a parking spot when I got there. I had just gotten my hair done and I was also worried about the rain forecast. All I had to do was worry about getting there on time. So I can’t imagine putting on a major graduation.

Just what does it take to pull off a big graduation at Chester High School? Mary Tucker, Coordinator, who said the process starts in September and goes all the way to June. “It’s an all year work.” Mrs. Tucker has been working on graduation, on a yearly basis, since 1982. She is the Department Head for the Science Department. She is also one of the Science Teachers for one of the winning teams to go to the Delco Science Fair this year. She holds down her assigned position while putting together this major event. Putting together the graduation takes major coordination of city and state services to pull this off. Services involve contact with  the Mayor’s Office, City and State Police, bids from the lowest Vendors, Sound System, Civic Organizations, ordering caps and gowns for students and staff, and collecting the staff’s caps and gowns after graduation. Not to mention, the Program Booklet which has to be typed with every name spelled correctly.

A lot of time and effort goes into putting on this type of graduation. Mrs. Tucker did mention that her protégé, English teacher Reginald Springfield, helped. Mr. Springfield is in training to take over eventually. But in the meantime, Mary Tucker will be coordinating another graduation. Mrs. Tucker knows it is a big job but she said, “I’m happy we had a safe and secure graduation.”

Kudos to Mary Tucker and all those involved in pulling off another graduation at Chester High School, I’m sure the recent graduates appreciate it. I’m glad it didn’t rain during graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment