Monday, February 28, 2011

Chester High School Presents Sojourner

Actress Zuhairah McGill
When I first saw Sojourner, the play at the Hedgerow Theatre, I thought it would be a great Black History event for any of the Chester schools to showcase. Little did I know then that meeting with the actress, Zuhairah McGill and her production First World Theatre Ensemble, would actually lead to a showing at Chester High School. I made the request through the Social Studies Department under the leadership of Department Head Farela Howie. I am happy to say we got the approval from the administration. Although my referral did not stop there, I was glad to walk through the process of bringing such a production to the school.

This is the last official day, the last day in February, to celebrate Black History Month. But we should celebrate Black History throughout the year. Chester High School has always celebrated this event with a number of valuable learning experiences, especial through the Social Studies Department. As you walk through the halls, you can see the decorations of all those fantastic projects done by the students. The walls are decorated with different types of Black Historic facts. The scene represents a mini museum with many biographies on display. 

Sojourner is the icing on the cake to top off Black History Month. The play does come with a study guide and was presented as a 40 minute version of the full production in the Chester High School Auditorium. Sojourner is the story of Sojourner Truth, her life from slavery to the Lincoln White House. So if you missed it at the Hedgerow and the other local productions recently, this was another opportunity to see it. The production is not exclusive to Black History Month. The play is available to all those who are interested in presenting it. First World Theatre Ensemble also puts on other productions throughout the year.

At the end of the play, students were given the opportunity for a question and answer period. The audience was very receptive to the play. The Social Studies Department wants to thank all those who participated in bringing the play to the school.  In attendance, from the administration, were Assistant Superintendent Dr. Dexter Davis and Principal Dr. Darla Hammond who introduced the play; and also a special appreciation to Laborers’ International Union of North America Local 413 for funding the event.    

Read the previous postings on the blog:
Sojourner at the Hedgerow
Sojourner at the Hedgerow Theatre
Sojourner at Chester High School


Also read the report in delcotimes.com:
Chester High School presents 'Sojourner' for Black History Month
By Donna Scott-Brown, Special to the Times


     

14 comments:

  1. I'm happy for all the kids that made honor roll. Im also proud that the school was able to do something nice for the people that deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of myself for making honor roll. The play was really nice and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the play. She was a good actress. It was nice how they could do something like that for the school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to see the play and I loved it, all I have to say is that if you had honor roll you really deserved to see this play. It was very inspiring and I hope you enjoyed it like I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the play. It was a great insight to a great African American figure like Sojourner Truth. I hope one day I will be able to see the full version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the play was very nice and would like to see many more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the play was AWESOME. It was a nice thing to see and to experience I really liked it alot and I would love to see another play about SOJOURNER TRUTH :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the play it was very exciting. I learned alot of things that I didnt know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm happy for the students that made honor roll and also happy the school gave the students that did made it something deserving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy for the students that made honor roll and got a chance to attend the Black History Play. I'm joyful that Chester High is doing something positive for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The play was wonderful I enjoy it. I'm so glad for the people that made distinguished Honor & Honor Roll, I was very exicted for my self & others. Soujourner Truth Play was wonderful. Glad to see that the school is making progess to do something for the kids that deserve it.


    La obra fue maravillosa me gusta. Estoy muy contento por la gente que hizo distinguido honor y Cuadro de Honor, yo estaba muy exicted para mi auto y otros. Soujourner Verdad Escuchar fue maravilloso. Me alegra ver que la escuela está haciendo progess de hacer algo por los niños que lo merecen.
    ListenRead phonetically

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the play was nice. I think the lady that played Sojourner played her well. We need more plays like this at Chester High.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The play was wonderful and intersting, I am also happy I made honor roll to watch the play. I learned more about Sojourner than I knew. I would love to see the 2 hour play of Sojourner in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad that I made honor roll because this play was awesome. I love how she acted out everything like it was so real. I learned that Sojourner is a strong woman who does not give up, thank god for her brave soul.

    ReplyDelete