Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sojourner at the Hedgerow Theatre

Zuhairah McGill, Donna Brown, and Brian A. Wilson (Voice of Frederick Douglass)

I couldn't miss the opportunity to see Sojourner at the Hedgerow this evening. I am glad I didn’t miss it because I could have easily been deterred by the parking situation. I was already running late because of the heavy traffic in this bad weather. When I came upon the parking lot it was completely full. I actually rode pass but turned back because I was going to see this play. Thank God I decided to memorize the phone number before I left home. I thought I might need it. I called and someone came out to meet me and said he was leaving so I can park in his spot. Wow! That was some service.

The last time I was at the Hedgerow Theatre was maybe 15 or so years ago when my children were young. I think we saw something about Winnie the Pooh. Someone was a Pooh fan. I remember when we were the only black faces in the audience. The theater was packed with them and a mixture of other people this evening. 

Sojourner is a one woman play about Sojourner Truth. The play is about the life of Sojourner Truth, aka Isabella Baumfree (also spelled Bomefree), from slavery to her rise to the Lincoln White House. Please see the recent posting in January Sojourner at the Hedgerow. Zuhairah McGill was terrific in her part as Sojourner. She gave a first-rate performance. She is from Brooklyn, New York. She is the Founder and Producing Artistic Director of First World Theatre Ensemble. She has produced 13 plays in which 5 of them became world premieres. For more information on Ms. McGill go to: www.nationalblacktheatre.org/sojourner/default.html

Sojourner wraps up tomorrow, February 6, 2011.  Don't miss this opportunity to see it. The Hedgerow is a quaint historic theater located in Rose Valley, PA. They serve snacks free during intermission, some make a small donation. After the performance, the actress came out to meet and greet the audience. As a History buff, I could not miss this play. As a History teacher with Black ancestry, I know my past. But sometimes we need a little passionate reminder in a great performance as I saw this evening. I think this generation needs to know and to learn about our past. I hope some of them went to see the play. We all need a little reminder about the Truth.

I was told by Jacqueline Taylor-Adams, Director of Marketing for the play, that Sojourner was available still for bookings during Black History month for an abbreviated performance with study guide in schools. Book it Now!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment