Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Black History Question

For some years now I have been asking this question to students. I would say maybe 5-6 years since a student brought the topic up and there was a rousing discussion about this question:

Are you Black or African American? Here are some of the recent responses.

Anthony
It wasn’t until the late 1800’s in which we were called African Americans. We were always referred to as the black people. Many great-grandfathers and grandmothers accept the name black because they were use to the names that were thrown at them. However, in today’s society, the name “black people” may be taken the wrong way. By all means, I agree. I am a following generation of Africans, but I was born in America. Therefore, I am an African American…If each American would tap into their historic background, they would definitely find some African heritage…I believe that if you have color in your skin, most likely you are from Africa.

Bryanna
I believe I’m African American because even though I wasn’t born in African my ancestors were… I don’t really see the difference between being Black or African American. Being Black means your family ancestors came from the same place African American ancestors came from, Africa.

Serenity
I think I’m African American cause black is a color of a crayon. African American people are people, people of a society and should be counted.

Patreesha
I feel as though I’m both Black & African American. When you read things about famous Black Or African Americans such as Dr. Martin Luther King, he was referred to as Both African American & Black. I don’t think it’s a difference between the two. 

Kaneisha
I’m a Black African American. I know that back in the day it didn’t matter if you were Black or African American you were still treated the same (bad)…Black people celebrate Black History Month. Black History Month is for African American. So since I have to be a part of that I am a Black African American, also proud to be one. I love my race.

Tishana
I Am a young smart black girl…Not only because my skin is dark but also because I am a very strong wonderful person…God made me black because I am an image of him. I don’t consider all dark skin people to be black or African American some can be mixed, with other nationalities. I am black because that’s what I believe. I can careless what others judge me to be. I love who I am. I wouldn’t change for nobody. Black women are the best.

Keishirah
I am black an Indian. My mother is black and my father is black and Indian…My brothers and sisters are black. I may be an Africa American myself but I don’t consider myself one because I don’t live in Africa. Then again I do call myself one because Black people celebrate Black History Month. Black History Month is a remembrance of important people and events in the history of the African Diaspora.

Rhonda
I would say that I am Black American, or African American. It depends on how you look at it. I say African American because my ancestry came from African and Black American because I was not born, live or is a citizen of African.

Adrienne
I am Black. I wasn’t born in Africa. So I don’t consider myself African American. I may have ancestors who are Black but that doesn’t mean I am. I was born and raised in America. African Americans are people from Africa, a total different decent.

Nasira
I would consider myself to be African American only because I was born in America. However, I do not believe that you have to be born in Africa to consider yourself “Black” or of African descent because there are many people who were born in America that would consider themselves to be “Black” because of the history (roots) of blacks and their ancestors.

Okay. So who are you? How do you characterize yourself? Are you Black or African American?


No comments:

Post a Comment